Jacy and the Olive Pit

The wonderful brown, bumpy, ball-like olive pit was the best toy in the world to 1 year old Jacy, an adorable little Persian, having a blast playing- until she accidentally swallowed it! Jacy came into our clinic last week very sick. She had been vomiting profusely for 3 days. When Dr. Levy examined her, she was found to be dehydrated and painful in her abdomen. The doctor could feel something that didn’t belong. Jacy’s x-ray didn’t show the foreign object, but did show a lot of gas, indicating something was definitely stuck! Jacy’s owners consented to exploratory surgery to locate and remove whatever she could have swallowed. The surgery took about an hour- Dr. Levy found a small olive pit lodged just past the stomach. There was also some plant material lodged just below that- silly kitty, eating all sorts of things! Jacy did great during her surgery and recovered well with our pet nurse. She was hospitalized afterwards so that she could continue to receive IV fluids, and close care following her ordeal. What a big event for such a teeny kitty! We are all very happy to know that she is doing very well at home, eating her recovery diet well and feeling very spunky. She came in to see us recently to have her sutures removed, and she has been doing great and staying out of trouble!

Although cats don’t tend to have as many issues with eating things they shouldn’t as, say, a puppy would, they can get into things. Some items to watch out for with your cat include (but are certainly not limited to) rubber bands, hair ties, yarn, sewing materials, and small round objects. If you notice your cat not eating well, vomiting, having diarrhea, straining to defecate, acting lethargic, or you suspect he or she has eaten something they shouldn’t, call us to set up an exam.

 

she's not too happy about being at the vet's

This is the olive pit that caused all of Jacy's problems